When it comes to points, we all want to get the best value but with Hilton, not all points redemptions are created equal. Is it worth spending 50,000 points for a night in the Hilton Shinjuku in Tokyo or are you better off booking 5 nights in a cheaper locale, like Malaysia?
Personally, we want to get the most out of my vacation, and that usually means spreading our time and budget as much as we can. Plus, with Hilton, your 5th reward night is free, so you can get some great value using your points for lower category redemption options.
Finding quality Category 1 and 2 hotels in places you’d actually want to visit can be tough, so we’re doing the research so you don’t have to (and getting serious wanderlust along the way!)
Here are our top seven value picks for Category 1 and 2 hotels (no particular order).
- Hilton Garden Inn Vienna South – Vienna is one of those cities that seems to have universal appeal. Whether you’re into the culture, the history just want a starting point for exploring the rest of Eastern Europe, there’s a lot to love! The Hilton Garden Inn is a few kilometers from the city, but the reviews are glowing and there seem to be plenty of transport options – including trains, taxis and a hotel shuttle to the city centre. Best of all, it’s a city where you probably want to spend a bit of time, so why not book five nights and bring the per night cost down to 8,000 points.
- Doubletree by Hilton Sighisoara – Inhabited since the 6th century and a UNESCO heritage site, there’s no shortage of charm in Sighisoara – even if you hadn’t heard of it until now. It looks like the perfect spot to wander the old streets, before plopping down in a charming pub for the evening. Now, fair warning, in the pictures it looks like it may not be the same standard as many other Doubletrees, but for 5,000 points per night, we’d risk checking out this quaint village.
- Doubletree Bratislava – Slovakia is one of those countries that often gets left off European itineraries, but being so close to Budapest and Vienna, it’s worth a look for a few nights. We must admit, we love a Doubletree as well, so for 10,000 points, this one is pretty good value!
- Hampton Inn & Suites Mexico City – From media reports about crime to the current political situation, a lot of people are hesitant to visit Mexico right now, but that means more delicious Mexican food for the rest of us. This hotel’s 19th century facade and terrace bar are calling us, as are Mexico City’s cathedrals, castles and museums. This one will set you back 10,000 points.
- Doubletree by Hilton Kuala Lumpur – If you don’t mind the humidity, Kuala Lumpur is the perfect stop for business or adventure, and a great layover on your way to exploring other parts of Asia. At 10,000 points, it’s a great home base or starting point.
- Hilton Garden Inn Hanoi – Vietnam is quickly losing its status as one of the world’s best kept secrets. And with such beautiful beaches, amazing food, powerful history and unforgettable people, it’s easy to see why. Hanoi is a must-visit spot for any Vietnam itinerary and at 10,000, booking a few nights at the HGI is a great way for budget or last-minute travelers to shave a bit off an already-reasonable trip.
- Hampton by Hilton Newcastle – If you’re doing the UK by train or car, Newcastle is the perfect point to stop between London and Edinburgh for a pint and a pub meal. Recover from London prices for a few nights in this central 10,000 point a night hotel.
If we’ve missed any that you think would be worth including, let us know! We’d also remind everyone there can certainly be some good value deals for higher category rewards, especially in more expensive cities. So check back soon for our top Category 3 Hilton Hotels!